Christmas Meal 16th December, 2010
This Christmas we were able to provide a Party for 100 homeless and disadvantaged men and women thanks to the awesome generosity and support of the Plant Hire and Equipment Company Hewden.
We were so excited when Hewden contacted us and expressed their desire to help the homeless by providing a Christmas Meal with all the trimmings; our only dilemma was where to host an event of this size! We approached Kings Church in Manchester because we know they have a real heart and active ministry for the homeless. The team at Kings were eager to help and blessed us with an impressive function room which provided a stunning setting for our party.
Plans and prayers went hand in hand and day after day individuals, churches and other supporting companies offered their help which all worked together to make this party so very special.
Teams from Hewden's, Barnabus, Kings Church and other volunteers joined together to transform the room the morning of the party; Christmas Lights and Decorations sparkled, table settings and crackers were in place and we had 100 sets of generous gifts for every man and woman attending.
Our guests arrived to a live performance of Carol's and a Solo by a group of talented young people from Cheetham's School of Music. The band "Two Blues" entertained our guests throughout the afternoon with popular classic hits and a fun atmosphere. More people arrived from Hewden's including Directors and Staff and they were absolutely fantastic chatting to the guys, making them feel at home and joining in to help serve the delicious Christmas Meal with all the trimmings, followed by Christmas pudding, mince pies and chocolates, it really was amazing. Peter our Director shared a Christmas message, testimony and prayer; everyone was so attentive you really could have heard a pin drop. Our friends joined in with the band and one or two even came out to the front to join in a song, some danced and one even entertained us on the harmonica.
The smiles and joy shared from those that came was enough to make our Christmas and as we were packing everything away one of the last comments we had was from a man who confided that he felt his heart had been renewed, god is so good and we're so thankful that this was a time of encouragement, joy and blessing for all.
Jeff Schofield, Sales and Marketing Director, Hewden writes:
"As a hire firm to the construction industry, Hewden is all too aware of the alarming number of people that are still living on the streets, in hostels or temporary accommodation. Barnabus is working wonders in helping homeless people off the streets of Manchester and back into mainstream society. As a local business, Hewden and its employees are proud to support the work that Barnabus it is doing. This Christmas our staff are working in partnership to with the charity to host a Christmas Dinner Day for homeless people in the Manchester area."
We would like to thank the following people from the bottom of our hearts;
- Hewden Directors and Staff for their generosity, without whom we would not have been able to put on this party and for their open and sincere hearts to serve and meet with our friends.
- Kings Church for the gift of an awesome and blessed setting and for all their support and hospitality
- Chetham's School of Music for wowing us with tremendous talent and beautiful voices
- Two Blues for playing all the greats and creating such a fun atmosphere
- Superfillings for cooking up a truly delicious meal
- Brand Distribution Ltd, Crossroads Community Church and Kings Church, for donating towards and providing 100 gifts tailored for the men and women including the best quality hats, gloves, socks, toiletries, perfume and chocolates.
- The Gideon's Society husband and wife team who graciously gave out bibles to those that were happy to receive this greatest gift on the day.
- Darren & Stacey who came with their own hand made lovingly prepared gift wrapped chocolates including a message of hope for each person.
- All of our Staff, Volunteers and other people that came to help us on the day.
Published on Wednesday 5th January 2011
Christmas, Party, Homeless, Food, Drop-In